Thursday, February 5, 2009

On Running After One's Hat, G.K. Chesterton

I loved this essay too because it presents the reality that life is too short not to laugh at. It is more reasonable for us to seek the childlike pleasure and interest in activities that are often viewed as taxing or unfortunate, because these are moreover setbacks of the mind. He describes the rich pleasure in viewing someone chase down a hat. The pleasure is more for the bistanders than the hat pursuer, but why should he not laugh too. We are often mistaken in expecting things to come out easily, and then proven wrong. If we expect the worse than our time is often easier. I liked this because I had to chase my hat down at a four-way intersection the other day, and was not happy. It was a white hat that I finally captured by stepping on, and soiled in the process. If I had read this story before hand I would have viewed the situation more light-heartedly, and probably laughed. Vocabulary expansion: "archipelago"

No comments:

Post a Comment