Thursday, February 12, 2009

5 Original Introductory Paragraphs

Bryson Vann
Dr. Benton
2-12-09
5 Personal Introductory Paragraphs:
The Wanderer
It is often regarded as a negative thing, for a person to wander aimlessly in a direction with no real intentions other than loosing them self. Numerous responsibilities are bestowed upon us throughout life and obligations that we as humans should meet on a daily basis undeniably exist. With that being said, you might consider it folly for an individual to venture out somewhere in a frivolous manner, while more important tasks are prevalent like endless dominos. I suggest, rather that this type of action is potentially therapeutic for the person trying to escape, in that it can stir in them a sense of freedom and independence and temporarily allow them to part from earthly burdens. I think that this can help uplift one’s attitude towards their life in general, and strengthen confidence in exploring one’s feelings.
The Procrastinator
The trouble is, I cannot for the life of me complete homework ahead of time. It is not because I wait in idleness until the last moment, but because I frantically occupy myself with every other possible task or chore that I may have yet to complete. I tell myself that coffee will help, but I only think of distractions more rapidly. My lack of discipline may be viewed as worthless, shameful, and unethical. For this I have no defense. What eventually drives me towards progress is the absolute dread of failure.
Late Night Indulgence
Apart from the occasional bowl of cereal, I am not a breakfast person if it does not consist of some type of fruit. An apple: yes, an omelet: no thank you. I think that this preference is partially due to my tendency to overeat before bedtime. “Sweet tooth” would be an understatement. If there is a sugary food in my possession it will most certainly be sampled and possibly entirely consumed like the cure to a life-threatening illness, before the next day dawns.
Choosing Friends Wisely
I have had friends throughout my life, many of which I have had to leave behind because of their self-destructive behavior. It is hard not to feel certain gravity towards those that you care about, but it is unreasonable not to escape a bad situation when you see it unfolding. Growing up I have always heard things like, “You are no better than the company you keep around you.” “You can tell a lot about a man by his friends.” And “Judge a man by his company.” All of these are things that I have come to appreciate more now in emerging adulthood. I have not always recognized the full impact that friends can have on life, but I have always noticed myself become more like my friends the longer I am around them.
On Offending
It was not until they began speaking in tongues that I grew entirely uncomfortable. I could deal with the man circling the pews in a dead sprint, shaking his hands frantically as if someone had poured hot grease on them. I could handle the mixed commotion of loud voices and piercing cries. I could even manage to tolerate my mother and stepfather standing beside me as if it were all perfectly normal. I could not, however, comfortably listen to the nonsensical, illegitimate, discordant babble that was to be interpreted by only one other person as if it were the undeniable word of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment